Wednesday, June 1, 2011

England on my mind..


I know it sounds strange to a fellow Californian, especially in light of our very wet  spring, but I love these days of cool weather, rain, and an occasional peek from the sun. The bright blue of the hidden sky, shown only between breaks from endless puffs of clouds. It reminds me of England, and my days spent scouring the countryside and tiny villages~long walks in Wellies on farm trails, tea in tiny little shops, blazing fires in fireplaces centuries old, and miles and miles of winding country roads, tiny spring lambs hopping about, dotting the hillsides and fields. Doors of cottages, told me stories of past inhabitants, graveyards, lovely in the shadows of a 1000 year old church, pubs offering up a friendly pint and local conversation. 

My daughter and I traveled to the countryside of England in early summer.  We discovered the truth of what we had not remembered about each other on this lovely trip. We are the same.. both searching for meaning and beauty and adventure.  She let me go meandering, patiently waiting ..stopping on corners just looking at what was around me..so familiar it was..all those places our eyes and heart gathered up as we moved through the countryside and on to the beating pulse of London.   She came along with me, as I fell back in love with this place, this England..and I watched her, my girl, find a small bit of herself she had thought she had lost along the way of adolescence.  It ended all to soon, our adventure. But I know we'll be back..this place across the sea..this England.


Oh, how often I visit these memories...here in my mind...












































 








  













































"Know your own happiness. Want for nothing but patience -- or give it a more fascinating name: Call it hope." 
                                                                                                     — Jane Austen (Sense and Sensibility)


1 comment:

  1. Lovely lush England. A place I have never seen in real life. Your photographs are so colorful and interesting. I too love puffy clouds in any color shape or form. This trip you took with your daughter will be with you two forever. So special. Thanks for getting back to your blogs. I miss your photos and your words that call to me.

    ReplyDelete