Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day, Marian


















Traveling is a state of mind. We don't need to go far, no need to pack a bag and fly away, or go down the road less traveled...we can sit quietly in the early morning light, as I did today, and travel to a place in my heart that brings me peace.  It is Mother's Day after all, so here I sit in the peace of remembering my mother who's been gone from this physical world for seven years now.
The blue of her eyes..a hue that I can't quite explain..just the hint of a smile there..voiceless now, unless I go back further in my travels to an earlier time in my life. Her small, aged hand and graceful fingers in mine. How immensely comforting this is, this visit to a place in my heart. The space between us is smaller somehow...timeless. My mother's voice, wisdom and unconditional love travel with me, guiding me along the twists, turns, and adventures...wherever I go.

She would always say that my sister and I were her, "gifts from the sea"...one daughter risen out of the ocean..one of beauty and love, and the other daughter..found "under a seashell".. washed ashore with the tide, at dawn's first light. 

She who loved the ocean, longed to be nearby.. always, and in the end, so she was.









"...simply the memory that each cycle of the tide is valid, each cycle of the wave is valid, each cycle of a relationship is valid. And my shells? I can sweep them all in to my pocket. They are only there to remind me that the sea recedes and returns eternally."
                                                                          ~Anne Morrow Lindbergh, " Gift from the Sea"













Mom's Lipstick

3 comments:

  1. This is so sweet! What a mother you had, thanks for posting about her. I do not know any mother that ever said that or anything like that to their daughters. She left you and your sister with great gifts to use in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someday, I will take you to the Point in Malibu. We go there to sit and think about her. You would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gift From the Sea is a wonderful book! What a lovely tribute to your mother.

    ReplyDelete